Sunday, January 05, 2014

When the Cats Away....


School starts tomorrow.... I think it's safe to say that we are all ready for this to happen.  After a while even contraband IPhone active gets old.  Or maybe not.  






And did I mention I have a job interview this week (!!)

The winds of change.  We shall see how they blow.  The inspiration to apply for this job came to me in the shower, and I say, hey, if Joseph Smith  got his inspiration from the bottom of a top hat, then what the Good Lord sends me in the naked solitude of my little plastic astronaut shower is as good as anything.  

My current resume is rather stale, and to avoid being a server at Denny's when I am fifty-seven, something must be done.  With a good brain in my head and my specialized training I should be able to get something legit.   I hope this new opportunity works for our family... I'm nervous about rejection and even more nervous that I willl love it but all the variables won't line up.  


I wonder how many opportunities in my life I have passed over because the fear of rejection or failure was too daunting.  The whispers of "you're not good enough" can stifle even the most powerful of dreams.  (Insert the sad tale of "my photography business that almost was" here, not that I've abandoned that all together, but the vulnerability associated with creativity is a big risk and I've always held back.) 

But where does this approach leave a person after 10, 20, 30, 40 years of playing it safe?  I don't think I want to find out. 





                                          THE (Wo) MAN IN THE ARENA  - T. Roosevelt. 
                                          Excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic"
                                          delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France on 23 April, 1910
                                         
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming....who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. 


In 2014, I will dare greatly. I will put myself in the arena, understanding that at best I will know the triumph of high achievement, and at worst, if I fail I will do so Daring Greatly. 


 (Viva Brene Brown.)  



2 comments:

Dr. Jennifer McDonald said...

BETINA!!!!!! :) Details! And mucho suerte a ti!

Corinne Baird said...

Yayyy!! You're back!!